From the appearance of a crack on the ceiling, alas, no one is immune, with very few people know what to do. Such a defect spoils the appearance of the whole room, not to mention the most recent repair. Usually cracks appear in the butt-end of two concrete slabs of the building's ceiling, but even gypsum plaster structures are prone to this problem.
To the process of eliminating a crack on the ceiling between the plates it is necessary to approach with the utmost seriousness. In the worst case, the cracks will reappear or will be visible after their embedding.
Why do cracks appear?
Before you seal a crack on the ceiling, you need to determine the exact cause of their occurrence. It usually appears as a result of:
- Shrinkage at home;
- Sudden temperature changes;
- Low-quality repair work.
If the house is built recently, then cracks on the ceiling appear due to shrinkage of the building. In this case, it is not recommended to cover them. Repair is best done after 3-4 years.
That cracks did not appear during the repair work, you need not only to cover them well, but also better prepare the surface.
If several conditions for repairing the ceiling are observed, the cracks do not appear:
- Plaster solution should be applied only on a clean and dried surface;
- As a puttying solution is better to use gypsum mixture;
- In the process of painting, reinforcing mesh should be used.
If cracks appeared on the ceiling, there is a need to quickly hide them, then you can make a stretch ceiling. This option does not affect the shrinkage of the building.
Preparation of the surface for painting works
First you need to clean the damaged area from the peeling elements. If this is not corrected, the crack will be hidden for a short while.
Do not be afraid to solve the problem area entirely, even if it plastered a lot of plaster. Better once to effectively hide the defect, than several times to perform unplanned repairs. The work to seal the resulting crack is very dusty, so it is better to cover furniture, equipment and other valuable objects with film in advance.
Closure of the defect with putty
This method of removing cracks is considered the most common. For better puttying, the defect must be widened. Formed "pits" should be well cleaned from dust and dirt, then moistened with water.
To seal the cracks on the ceiling with putty, you need to apply the material in minute amounts for several times. The amount of used putty will depend on the depth of the pothole.
Features of laying layers putty:
- Apply the first portion of the mixture to cover the bottom of the crack;
- The second portion should be distributed so that it fills 65-70% of the ceiling slit along the entire length;
- The last layer and its grouting are carried out on one level with the surface of the panel.
Each of the layers must be stacked only after the previous work has dried completely.
To make the putty more plastic, it is better to add PVA glue in its composition. Adding this component, the plaster should be used up as quickly as possible, since the term of its setting decreases.
Glue PVA can be used as a primer. To use this option, it must be mixed with water and applied to a defective area. After that, you can begin filling the crack.
Elimination of a crack with sealant
If there was a crack on the ceiling after repair, then the situation will correct a good sealant. This repair option is considered effective in rooms where the risk of leakage is high. In this case, preference should be given to moisture-resistant compositions whose structure resembles rubber. This material will last longer than the mounting foam.
If there are deeper cracks between the wall and the ceiling, then you can not do without the use of reinforcing mesh. You can use hair materials, metal mesh or "sickle". As a reinforcement, you can use a cotton cloth, which you need to put on the edge of the defect. The used fabric should be washed, smoothed, dipped in glue and put in a crack. When it completely dries, fill the crack with putty. If there are small cracks, the ceiling can be repaired with high-quality plaster materials provided that the defective areas are thoroughly cleaned.
Fixing cracks on the ceiling of gypsum board
The most popular material for finishing rooms is considered to be drywall, as it becomes possible to create a perfectly flat surface. Despite all the advantages of a drywall ceiling, you need to know how to fix the defects, since there is no absolute guarantee that cracks in the slab will not appear.
Most often in a repaired ceiling, cracks appear for the following reasons:
- In the process of shrinkage of the building;
- The use of dowels that do not withstand the load of the sheet;
- Incorrect installation of the U-shaped profile was performed;
- GKL editing error, which was not eliminated immediately;
- The ceiling surface was not primed;
- Flooding on the upper floor.
Before removing the cracks on the ceiling, you need to carefully prepare the surface.
To understand whether the ceiling will deform in the future, you need to paste paper beacons on the crack. If a couple of days they do not break, then you can repair the cracks on the ceiling.
- If mistakes were made during the installation of the frame, you will have to change large sections of the ceiling.
- If you need to strengthen the frame, then you need to remove the entire GCR. In such cases, the repair of an unfinished crack is done by the method of creating a primary ceiling. The new surface should be on a par with other sheets, with joints requiring careful embedding.
- If it is necessary to repair a ceiling crack, then first it should be expanded using a knife and spatula. As a result, the crack should be increased to about 10 mm w
- After this, it is necessary to clean the extreme part of the crack. This is done to better fix the putty on the surface of the drywall sheet.
Before carrying out repair work, the cleft and the surrounding plane must be cleaned of dust and primed ceilings.
Material for sealing cracks GKL
In order to eliminate the crack on the ceiling of plasterboard, you can use a simple putty, on which a special tape is glued. There are specialized putty mixes, for which a self-adhesive tape is not required.
Specialized putty is distinguished by better setting. After completely drying, it becomes very hard. This option is most suitable for sealing cracks and crevices on the plasterboard ceiling.
In the process of performing puttying operations, the spatula should be pressed to the ceiling as much as possible. This is necessary to prevent irregularities. The final result should be an ideal ceiling without cracks, which will not stand out against the background of the main drywall sheet.
Closing the gap on the surface of the ceiling is only necessary after the plaster has completely dried. In the worst case, the defect will increase and become much more serious.
The pre-treated slot is covered with a primer. After a few hours, a fine putty is applied with a wide spatula.
If the repair is done correctly, you will get a perfectly flat surface.