I want to have a beautiful well-groomed balcony, and it is the sheathing (appearance) that gives it a complete and attractive look. Finishing the balcony on the outside provides insulation, waterproofing and protection of the structure against wind loads and adverse weather conditions, so the technical characteristics of the materials for finishing the balcony from the outside are important.
Finishing siding and warming the balcony parapet
Siding is the most popular finishing material made of polyvinyl chloride. The texture can imitate a stone, a brick, a tree. By the type of installation, the siding is divided into vertical and horizontal (allows to allocate a balcony in the general architecture of the structure). Single, double and triple panels are produced (this is determined by the number of fastened rods).
Required types of panels:
- "Shipboard", repeating the shape of the shipboard. The sheets are produced with a double fold, which increases the reliability of the skin;
- "Double herringbone" imitates the lining of the lining. Distinctive features - quick and easy installation, light weight, additional stiffeners (double bend of anti-wringing lock);
- "Blockhouse" stands out with a cylindrical view of profiles, reminiscent of a log cabin picture).
Siding of the following parameters is produced: length of panels 3050-3660 mm, width 179-255 mm, thickness 1.1-1.2 mm. When revetting the loggia, it is important to consider that the speed of installation depends on the size of the panels. With the long and wide sheets, the facade is quickly lined up, and there are fewer joints.
Advantages of vinyl siding:
- durability - the service life is about 50 years;
- resistance to the appearance of fungus, mold, corrosion, therefore does not need additional protective coatings;
- is not subject to humidity or temperature variations (operating conditions from -50 ° C to + 50 ° C);
- excellent indicators of noise and heat insulation;
- environmentally friendly material;
- it is easy to mount independently, and to a variety of surfaces (wood, brick, concrete);
- Suitable for plating unprepared walls, surfaces;
- a wide variety of textures, a rich palette of shades;
- resistant to burning, does not / does not peel;
- democratic value.
- brittleness - the material can crack under strong and sharp mechanical action;
- panels can not be restored / repaired;
- quickly melts.
Carrying out of works
Preparatory work on the cladding provides an assessment of the technical condition of the balcony and the carrying out, if necessary, of restoration work. The concrete base is carefully cleaned (remove debris, dust). If minor cracks are found at the base, they are sealed with special mixtures. To restore the plate, damaged around the perimeter, a wooden crate is installed and concrete is poured. The iron grating / fencing is cleaned of peeling paint and rust and covered with fresh protection.
For finishing works you will need:
- vinyl siding (the number of panels is calculated based on the size of the area plus a margin of 15-20%). The optimal solution for finishing the balcony is horizontal panels 25-35 cm wide;
- Planks (elements for fastening panels to each other and to the surface of the balcony);
- j-trim profile - used as a border, when only one wall is lined (in such cases it can replace the starting and finishing laths);
- Finish profile - similar in configuration to j-trim, only thinner;
- wooden bars (40x40 mm) - for the formation of the crate;
- mounting foam.
Finishing of the balcony from the outside with their own hands is carried out with a perforator, a hammer, a building level, a screwdriver, a circular saw.
Wooden rails are attached to the metal fence - an outer crate is formed. To do this, from the street side of the parapet, a wooden beam is carefully leveled, treated with a colorless antiseptic.
The wooden boards are parallel to each other in 50 cm increments. The wooden elements are securely fixed with screws to the metal grid at the top and bottom.
After the installation of wooden battens begin to install siding. For junction of the siding to the wall, a j-trim profile of the desired dimensions is prepared. It is fixed with screws from the street side to the last lath of the crate. For a strong fixation, several fixing points are sufficient (the step of 30-40 cm is observed).
In the lower part of the parapet, the starting plate is set perpendicular to the beams of the crate. First, the j-trim profile and the starting plate are connected to each other at right angles. Then, from the outside of the balcony, the rod is screwed with screws to each reel rail.
The final profile is installed parallel to the beam of the crate and fixed with screws. And the fasteners are located inside the factory profile holes. The lower part of the profile is fixed in the last turn with the help of a screw with a wide bonnet.
After mounting the profiles, the structure is ready for installation of the siding. The first panel is inserted inside the starting j-trim of the bar and the finish profile. The sheets are attached to the boards of the crate. Carefully fit two rows. Each panel is fixed on the crate by screws through factory holes.
After the second row, install a sheet of penopolis between the bars of the crate. In the lower part, the sheet is held by siding. The upper excess part of the penoplex is cut with a knife. In the same way, all sheets of penopolix are installed between the beams of the crate. Next, the remaining siding panels are installed. And their sides are located inside the finish and j-trim profiles, and the horizontal side is fixed with screws to the batten bars.
The top sheet of the siding is fixed with a margin. After glazing, the excess part is cut just below the tide and closes the bottom foam seam.
The next stage of work is the sealing of seams. A layer of mounting foam is applied to the joints of a penopolix and a wooden crate. Also, the seam closes the seam between the slab and the insulation sheets.
The joints between the crate and foam foam are blown out. Careful attention is paid to the corners of the balcony.
Next proceed to warming and finishing works from the inside of the parape
Sheathing of the balcony with a siding outside, carried out by all the rules, is the guarantor of the long service of the balcony. Also it is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the material. The panels should be matte, without scratches, cracks, delaminations, any kind of external defects. On the side cut, it is possible to estimate the uniformity of the thickness of the siding (this parameter determines the resistance of sheets to the force loads).
Finishing the balcony outside with corrugated board
A worthy alternative to siding when covering the outside of the balcony is the corrugated board.
Profiled sheeting - roofing material made of galvanized steel. Produced in the form of profiled sheets with a polymer coating. Pluses:
- stability, high strength (provided by special ribs of rigidity);
- excellent thermophysical characteristics;
- easy installation and light weight (no additional reinforcement of the balcony base);
- simple care (enough to wipe with a damp cloth);
- a diverse color palette of the surface protective layer;
- attractive appearance, reasonable price.
Finishing of the balcony is done on a specially supplied frame of their profiled pipes (it is recommended to replace old unfit designs with new ones). The easiest way is to sheathe the lath of profiles parallel to the walls of the house. It is recommended to treat the frame with a primer and paint it against corrosion.
Mounting sheets starts from the corner. The material is fixed with special screws with rubber gaskets. At the corners of the balcony, the sheet is simply wrapped and fixed. To the heads of the fastenings do not stand out against the background of the coating, they are painted in the appropriate color.
In the places of the joint of the wall and corrugated board, special planks are installed.
Saidin or profiled: what to prefer?
Panels from vinyl siding are interesting to imitate the surface of the tree (lining, beams). Such a performance gives the balconies a non-standard and individual look.
Profiled sheeting has a profiled appearance (the technology is used to make the material stiffeners) and can be distinguished only by the color palette.
Vinyl siding is equipped with special factory holes for mounting. At installation it is offered to use finishing elements for formation of an aesthetic design. And the mounting of siding does not require special skills.
Profiled sheeting is made of solid sheets. When attaching the material, it is not possible to use special finishing elements. Installation includes a minimum of processes.
Durability and operating conditions
Quality siding will last about 50 years without loss of aesthetic and consumer properties.
Guaranteed service life of galvanized corrugated board is 25-30 years. You can choose products with aluminum-zinc coating, with a declared service life of up to 40 years.
Both materials perfectly tolerate difficult weather conditions and temperature / humidity changes.
If it is difficult to choose the cladding material, you can consult a professional. It is the expert who correctly assesses the condition of the balcony and prompts the right decision. Especially because the cost of siding and corrugated board can be considered equivalent.